Crews over the weekend slowed the fire’s advance toward Hearst castle by concentrating firefighters and engines in the area between the castle and the fire’s edge. Though the threat has lessened, firefighters remain at the site and “will continue to keep the fire at bay from the Hearst Castle,” said Kenichi Haskett, a Cal Fire spokesman.
Hearst Castle, built between 1919 and 1947 for newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, is a museum and California state park, with more than 127 acres of gardens, pools and terraces. The hilltop property, which Hearst called La Cuesta Encantada (Spanish for “the enchanted hill”), houses his extensive art and sculpture collection.
|Hearst Castle Details||Tour List|
Hearst Castle was built for newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst between 1919 and 1947 in California’s San Luis Obispo County and is now a state park and historical museum.
Hearst Castle is located near the unincorporated community of San Simeon, California approximately 250 miles (400 km) from both Los Angeles and San Francisco, and 43 miles (69 km) from San Luis Obispo at the northern end of San Luis Obispo County. The estate itself is five miles (eight kilometers) inland atop a hill of the Santa Lucia Range at an altitude of 1,600 feet (490 m). The region is sparsely populated because the Santa Lucia Range abuts the Pacific Ocean, which provide dramatic seaside vistas but few opportunities for development and hampered transportation. The surrounding countryside visible from the mansion remains largely undeveloped. Its entrance is adjacent to San Simeon State Park. Hearst Castle was built on Rancho Piedra Blanca that William Randolph Hearst's father, George Hearst, originally purchased in 1865. The younger Hearst grew fond of this site over many childhood family camping trips. He inherited the ranch, which had grown to 250,000 acres (1,012 km 2) and fourteen miles of coastline, from his mother Phoebe Hearst in 1919. Although the large ranch already had a Victorian mansion, the location selected for Hearst Castle was undeveloped atop a steep hill whose ascent was a dirt path accessible only by foot or on horseback over five miles of cutbacks.